Due to Security Concerns, we do not  respond to unsolicited emails nor do we open unsolicited attachments.  Please call our office for assistance

PO Box 2214       Oregon City OR 97045       503-656-0699


Tax News You Can Use


Home Page

Your Personal Taxes

Tax News You Can Use

Itemized Deductions

Federal Tax Deduction Amounts

Business Accounting & Taxes

Financial Services


Comments on this website are informational in nature and are not intended to
be interpreted as specific tax advice.   The comments cannot be used to avoid taxes under the Internal Revenue Code or the regulations of other tax authorities. Furthermore, this website is not intended, and should not be interpreted, to support the promotion or marketing of any tax avoidance schemes.


Date last modified:

  • TAX FRAUD will rob you of precious dollars.  The IRS NEVER uses email or telephone calls to tell individual taxpayers that they owe money and must pay immediately.  You are always entitled to representation by a tax professional and/or attorney in order to determine the validity of the "claim".  DO NOT respond to these emails and DO NOT engage in conversation when a fraudster calls.  Also, protect your sensitive personal information so it cannot be stolen and a false tax return filed in your name.

  • Some high income taxpayers will be subject to a 3.8 percent Medicare Surcharge on investment earnings.  Households with incomes over $250,000 joint filers, $200,000 singles filers and $125,000 married filing separate will be assessed this tax on certain investment earnings.
  • Taxpayers with wages and/or self-employment net income greater than $200,000 single filers, $250,000 joint filers or $125,000 married filing separate will be subject to a .9% Medicare tax.  Employers cannot withhold the extra tax unless the employee earns $200,000 or more in a calendar year.  Taxpayers can opt for additional federal withholding to cover this surcharge.
  • Generally, the sale of personal residence is not taxable if certain conditions are met.  If the taxpayer's primary residence has been used as a rental, vacation or second home it has periods of "nonqualified use".  Taxpayers may not be able to exclude all the gain from the sale of a residence that has periods of nonqualified use.  Some states tax home sales when the seller lives in another state.
  • Debt Forgiveness/Cancellation can generate taxable income. Generally, this is reported on a 1099-C. It is important to include this information on your tax return, even if it turns out you don't have additional income to claim.
  • Selling online (such as via Ebay) is considered a taxable activity.  If you are a 'casual seller', meaning you sell occasionally without intent to make a profit, you probably don't need to report the activity.  If you are a more active seller, selling items at a profit or you are selling collectibles, you must report the income either as a hobby venture or a business.  Merchants will receive 1099-K forms reporting payments/income received from third-party handlers.
  • Barter and Trading for services and/or products is considered taxable income and must be counted as such.
  • The Child Tax Credit for federal returns in 2021 returns, is temporarily increased to $3,000 per child age 6-17.  For children under 6, the credit is $3,500 per qualifying child.  Income limits apply.   Unless Congress extends the temporary credit increase, it will revert to $2,000 per qualifying child age 16 and under in the 2022 filing year. 

  • Health Savings Accounts (HSA) help alleviate the burden of medical expenses and provide some tax advantages. Only high deductible health insurance policies qualify.
  • Teachers can deduct up to $300 worth of classroom supplies in 2022.  If both spouses are teachers and file jointly, they can deduct up to $600.
  • Washington State residents do not pay individual income tax.  Businesses need to collect sales tax and fulfill other reporting requirements. Visit the Washington State Department of Revenue's website for more information.  If you are an Oregon-based business and conducting operations in Washington, you may be subject to sales and excise tax reporting and payments.
  • Absolutely, DO NOT ignore letters from the IRS or state revenue agencies. Respond promptly, or seek professional assistance, when information is requested. Procrastination can be costly because you can lose certain rights and even potential refunds by missing key deadlines.  Incorrect mailing address is never accepted as a reasonable excuse, so be sure to keep your mailing address current.
  • If you are chosen for a tax audit, it is important to realize you may need to prove some or all of your tax deductions.  If you file as Head of Household and/or receive Earned Income Credit, you may need to show that your provided a home to a dependent and/or supported a dependent.  You may need to provide records that substantiate the income you reported.  Be sure your records will stand up to scrutiny.
  • Employer's wishing to provide non-taxable fringe benefits for their employees can reference IRS Publication 15-B
  • Links to More Tax Tips and Information
    Social Security
         ◊ Rental Income and Expenses
    Education Deductions and Tax Breaks
    Tips for Sole Proprietors and Business Owners
    Tax Filing Deadlines, Extensions and Quarterly Estimates
    Life Planning in the 21st Century
    Important Documents to Keep

    • Resources You Can Use

      • You can download forms, publications and information from the IRS website. Go to www.irs.gov
      • For the Oregon Department of Revenue, go to http://www.oregon.gov/DOR/.  You should be able to access other states from the IRS website.